Knitting & Crochet Projects
Earlier this year the team ran a Learn to Knit and Crochet drop in session at the museum as part of our Mental Health Awareness Campaign and it was a roaring success. Since then we have been asked to host more meet ups and get involved with several yarn projects, here are the details and how you can get involved.
The next knitting and crochet meet up at Daventry Town Council and Museum is 28 May at 2-4pm, for more information see our Facebook event.
Get your hooks and pins at the ready, bring your own yarn or nab some of ours (we have plenty!).
Daventry Yarn Christmas Tree Project
Daventry Yarn Christmas Tree Project is a collaboration with project organiser Julie Walker. Everyone in the community can get involved, whatever their level of experience. Crochet 15cm x 15cm squares and they will be sewn together to make Christmas trees to go on display in Daventry town.
- Knit or crochet a 15 x 25 cm square that will be part of a yarn Christmas tree in Daventry. Younger crafters could even make pom-pom baubles to adorn the trees (see below!).
- The trees will be in Daventry from the end of November.
- Attend a meet up at Daventry Town Council & Museum, 3 New Street, NN11 4BT, or also join the Facebook group (see below)
- The deadline for completed squares is 15 October 2022 and can be dropped off at 3 New Street for the attention of the Projects Officer.
Why not join the Daventry Christmas Tree Yarn Project 2022 Community Facebook Group to meet other crafters and get involved.
Free Half Term Pom-Pom Making Workshop
Our Crochet Christmas Tree will need baubles can you help?! Come along in June half term and we'll show you a couple of really cool ways to make pom-poms of various sizes. These will then become part of the Daventry Crochet Christmas tree project and there will be some to take home too!
𝗪𝗵𝗮𝘁: Yarn Pom-Pom making workshop - Free of charge!
𝗪𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲: Daventry Museum, 3 New St, Daventry, NN11 4BT
𝗪𝗵𝗲𝗻: Tuesday 31st May and Wednesday 1st June (Half Term)
𝗧𝗶𝗺𝗲: Drop by between 10.30 and 11.30am each day
𝗪𝗵𝗼: For children of all ages and their grown-ups (some grown-up help with scissors will be needed)
𝗔𝗰𝗰𝗲𝘀𝘀: There are many free car parks in Daventry town centre, just check the noticeboard for timing restrictions
No knitting experience necessary and all materials will be provided.
If you want to make pom-poms at home for the Crochet Christmas tree just drop them in to the museum any time before the end of October!
Knit a Tree for the Jubilee
Knit at Tree for the Jubilee is a collaborative project with Northampton Museum and Art Gallery (NMAG). To celebrate the Queen's Platinum Jubilee we're asking our crafty community to help us make a beautiful knitted and crochet blanket.
Pick up your knitting pack from either museum and/or patterns and yarn to crochet flowers and part of the tree canopy.
- 𝗪𝗵𝗮𝘁: Knit a square or crochet flowers for the Jubilee blanket
- 𝗪𝗵𝗲𝗻: Pick up a knitting or crochet pack before the end of June 2022
- 𝗪𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲: Collect a knitting pack or yarn for crochet pieces at either Daventry Museum & Town Council, 3 New Street, NN11 4BT
- Northampton Museum and Art Gallery, 4-6 Guildhall Road, NN1 1DP
- 𝗗𝗲𝗮𝗱𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗲: Knitted squares and crochet pieces must be handed in to either museum by 4pm on 2nd July
Packs are available to collect from the Museum until the end of June. The deadline for returning knitted squares and crochet pieces is Saturday 2nd July at 4pm.
All crafters are welcome at NMAG's craft meet-up on Saturday 7 May, 1.30-3.30pm